Annual Practising Certificate

Application for an Annual Practising Certificate also involves undertaking Board recertification requirements.

Before you apply for your APC you are advised to read the following information.

Every podiatrist who wishes to obtain an Annual Practising Certificate must apply to the Registrar. No person may claim to be practising as a podiatrist of a particular kind or do anything to suggest that they are practising unless the podiatrist holds a current practising certificate with a scope of practice which indicates that the podiatrist is of that kind.

NB: If you are returning to practice after a period of 5 years or more, APC applicants are also required to pass the Board's Open Book Examination (on NZ cultural competence) as a pre-requisite.

The standard APC year is 1 April until 31 March, with a fee of $992. The APC may also be issued for a period less than one year, in two situations. New graduates who have never been registered in podiatry before are able to apply for an APC valid 1 December to 31 March ($247.75) and those applicants applying in the period from 1 January to 31 March are also able to pay a lower fee for this part year ($495.50). Your scope of practice will be endorsed on the APC. The Podiatrists Board will decide if the full text of the scope or just the title of the scope of practice is to be endorsed on the APC. Detailed information about the scope of practice is to be found in this website.

Once a podiatrist has submitted a correctly completed application including the required fee, the podiatrist is regarded as holding that APC from the date when the authority receives the application and payment is processed until the date it is issued or the practitioner is notified by the Registrar that it will not be issued. 

The Registrar will issue an APC if they believe that there are no reasons to refer the application to the Podiatrists Board under section 27 (1). The Registrar may decline to issue an Annual Practising Certificate if satisfied that any information included in the application is false or misleading.

There are a number of grounds set out in the HPCA Act that may lead to the APC being restricted namely:

The applicant

- has failed to maintain the required standard of competence

- has failed to fulfil or comply with a condition included in the applicant's scope of practice

- has not satisfactorily completed the requirements of any competence programme that the applicant has been ordered by the Authority to complete

- has not held an APC in NZ within the 3 years immediately preceding the date of the application.

- is unable to perform professional functions because of some mental or physical condition.

- has not within the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application lawfully practised his or her profession.

The Registrar may also decline to issue an APC if costs or expenses are owing from a Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal hearing.

If an APC is declined the Authority may issue an interim practising certificate for a period of up to 12 months and with any conditions the Podiatrist Board specifies.

Podiatrists will be given an opportunity to make written and oral submissions prior to any decision being made to decline an Annual Practising Certificate application, or to include or vary conditions in the podiatrist's scope of practice.

Frequently Asked Questions - Annual Practising Certificate Renewals

1. Do I need to purchase an Annual Practising Certificate (APC)?
If you intend to practise in New Zealand for all or any part if the year 1 April to 31 March you will need to obtain an APC.

2. What if I am not going to work in the year 1 April to 31 March?
You need to apply to the Board to remain on the Register as inactive/ non-practising. A fee for this will be introduced from 1 April 2014.

Application Form to Remain on the Register as Inactive or to Cancel Registration

3. What do I do when I return to the workforce? 
 If you have not practised for more than 3 years the Board may require extra competence requirements. Refer to the Board's Policy on Return to Practice Competence Requirements for further information.

4. Who is responsible for the purchase of an APC?
The practitioner is responsible for making sure they have an APC.

5. How can I pay for my APC?
Payment is accepted by cheque or credit card (Visa or Mastercard only).

6. What do I do if I have changed my name?
You must advise the Board. You must send a certified copy or statutory declaration as evidence of your name change. A Justice of the Peace, Solicitor or Notary Public is authorised to certify these documents. Please write your registration number on your certified copy.

7. What do I do if my employer is paying for my APC?
Payment of an APC by due date is still the responsibility of the practitioner. If the employer wants a copy of your Renewal Notice, they may keep a photocopy.

8. If I lose my APC can I get another one?
No - We only issue one copy. If you declare that your APC is lost, we will issue a letter verifying that you hold an APC.

9. What happens if I pay after 1 April?
You are legally required to hold a current APC whilst in practice. There will be higher fee if you apply to renew your APC after 31 March (and you held an APC for the previous year.)


PO Box 9644, Wellington 6141, NZ
Level 5, 22 Willeston Street, Wellington, 6011
Tel: +64 4 474 0706 Fax +64 4 918 4746


PO Box 10-202, Wellington 6143, NZ
Level 10, ASB House, 101-103 The Terrace, Wellington 6011
Tel: +64 4 474 0706 Fax +64 4 918 4746
MoST Content Management V3.0.6374